Playing games on the big screen is great fun. However, the fun even gets greater when there is a keyboard. In this guide, we have discussed how to connect a keyboard to your Android TV box and configure it, and 5 of the best games that can be played with the keyboard on Android TV. But before going to the games section, you first have to learn how to connect your keyboard to the Android TV Box.
How to connect your keyboard to your Android TV box
Connecting a keyboard to an Android TV box is fairly simpler than doing this with a smartphone. All you have to do is use any of the following methods:
Method 1: Via USB connection
You can connect your keyboard to your Android TV box via a USB connection. It can be a wired or wireless keyboard. Plug the USB adapter (for wired keyboard) or USB dongle (for wireless keyboard) of your keyboard into the USB port of your Android TV box. If your keyboard has a power switch or button, make sure you turn it on.
Method 2: Via Bluetooth
If your Android TV box has Bluetooth support, you can connect it wirelessly to a Bluetooth-supporting keyboard. Some Android TV boxes have a built-in Bluetooth system, while others don’t. If your box does not have built-in Bluetooth, you can use Bluetooth with a Bluetooth USB dongle. Connect the dongle to the USB port of your box.
- Turn on your Android TV box and go to “Settings” > “More settings”.
- Under “Wireless & Networks”, select “Bluetooth” and turn on the switch next to “On”. Then your box will automatically start scanning for Bluetooth devices in Pair mode.
- Turn on your keyboard. If your keyboard has a Bluetooth button, turn it on to enable Pair mode.
- You should see the name of your keyboard on the TV screen under “Available devices”. Select it.
- You will be asked to type in a code on your keyboard. Type the Bluetooth pairing code shown on the screen and press “Return” or “Enter”. Your keyboard will be successfully paired with your Android TV box.
Is that all? Few Other things to remember:
Once your keyboard is connected to your Android TV box, it should generally function fully. However, sometimes some of its keys may not function in your box. In that case, you need to enable all the keys to be functional in your box.
- Turn on your Android TV box and go to “Settings” > “More settings” > “Languages & input”.
- Under “Keyboard & input methods”, select “Default”. Then a pop-up menu will appear.
- In the menu, turn on the switch next to “Physical keyboard”.
Now your keyboard will be fully functional in your Android TV box.
How to Map your Keyboard?
To set the keyboard keys for your game controls, you can use keymapping apps like Octopus, GKM Touch, and Tincore Keymapper. Below is a tutorial on how to configure your keyboard for any game using Octopus.
- Download and install Octopus from Google Play Store.
- Once installed, open the app.
- Select “Add Games” and select your game.
- Launch the game by selecting its icon inside the Octopus window.
- When in-game, you can map your keys by going to the Octopus floating window at the top of the screen.
5 best games to be played with a keyboard on Android TV
- Fortnite Battle Royale
This game is certainly a favorite among gamers when it comes to online gaming. This is a free-to-play battle royale video game that allows up to 100 players in a single game. Players skydive onto an island, scavenge for resources, and fight other players. Players can fight alone (Solo), or in teams of 2 (Duos), 3 (Trios), or 4 (Squads). The last player or team to survive is the winner.
- Asphalt 9: Legends
This is a must-play game for racing game lovers. With excellent graphics and accurate physics, this sophisticated game features about 123 cars divided into 5 classes – D, C, B, A, and S, in the increasing order of performance and rarity. You can customize your cars and also upgrade their nitro. The game features 3 playing modes – Career, Multiplayer, and Events, and 3 race types – “Classic”, “Time Attack” and “Hunted”.
- Temple Run 2
This is a very fun, addictive game and would be more fun when played with a keyboard. This is an endless running video game in which the player takes the role of an explorer who has stolen an ancient relic from a temple and is running from demonic monkeys who are chasing him.
This is a fascinating, fast-paced combat game with high-quality graphics. It is a 2.5D hack & slash action platformer with RPG elements, in the setting of a dark fantasy world. Very challenging and action-packed with epic boss fights and a great storyline.
- Portal Knights
This is an award-winning sandbox independent survival action role-playing video game. Players explore, gather resources, build homes, and fight monsters. Resources are gathered to craft tools and weapons for construction and fighting.
That was all for our guide on How to play games on Android TV box with keyboard. Although there are many different ways to do that, the conventional method of using a USB cable keyboard is still the best. In case you face any problems with the process of installation don’t forget to ping us with your queries.
You may also like: