Firestick is definitely one of the best and most popular media player devices around the world. If you are not using Firestick, then you should definitely get one. Since Amazon has created this device, you can expect it to be better than other similar devices available out there. Though, there comes many times when this stick causes issues. Sometimes, you might not be able to run it and it just keeps restarting itself.
If you are facing issues like Firestick keeps restarting, then you should fix it asap. There are a couple of ways available to get rid of this problem but that completely depends on the cause. If you are a novice user of Firestick, then you might not be able to find out the real cause of it. Below, in this post, we have mentioned the best methods to fix Firestick keep restarting problem. We will recommend you to follow them one by one and restart your device after every method to check if the problem is fixed.
How To Fix Amazon Firestick Keeps Restarting/Rebooting
Method #1. Check Your Cable Connections
Sometimes Amazon firestick stops working or works in interruption owing to faulty cable connections. Damaged wire and wrong connectivity can lead to this issue and hampers the entertainment of the viewers. In this method, we will be going to discuss the process and steps to check Ethernet and cable connections in a firestick. The following steps will surely eradicate the issue of non-working firesticks because of damaged wire or unconventional connection.
- First of all, check the connectivity of the Ethernet Cable to the Firestick. Try plugging in again the Ethernet cable into the Firestick.
- There are two kinds of ports, the Micro USB port is plugged into the firestick and the Standard USB is meant for Power.
- After verifying the connectivity. Go to Settings–>Network–>Configure Network, to check the Ethernet connectivity
- On the right side of the screen, the Mode of connectivity will be visible.
- In the network option, click on Configure network in order to test the connection. These steps will thoroughly check and configure the mode and strength of connectivity in the firestick and help you in finding our deterrence in the connectivity.
Method #2. Restart Firestick Device
A lot of time we think that there is some major concern in our firestick and we start looking for a different solution on the internet to sort out the issue. But most of the time the prior underlying problem of the firestick is solved by simple solutions. A simple restart is a major solution for a lot of devices and it works with the amazon firestick too. So, in this method, we will talk about the steps to restart the Amazon firestick.
- Go to the home page of the firestick and then click on “Settings”.
- An option “My Fire TV” will be available there. Click on it.
- A-List of the various option will appear on the screen, go to the “Restart” option and click on it.
- Don’t switch off the device while the process of the restart. Let the device restart by itself.
- If in case, the firestick failed to restart and freeze, you can simply unplug the power cable from the socket and plug it in again and start the firestick manually. Hope this method resolute the issue with your firestick.
Method #3. Turn Off HDMI CEC Device Control
This method is preferable because it let you find out the error in the visual connectivity of Firestick to the TV. By turning off HDMI CEC device control, users can check if the problem still persists. Nowadays most of the TV comes with HDMI port and you can use this port to connect the Firestick. Sometimes HDMI port or HDMI cable causes the issue and eventually, the Firestick stops working properly. Universal remotes can be used via HDMI CEC Mode and sometimes there are faults in the remote and we try to find the error on other aspects of the Firestick. So, let get to know about the step to turn off HDMI CED Device Control.
- Go to the Settings and then click on the Display and Sounds option now see if there is an option available for the HDMI CEC Mode.
- If you find out the option HDMI CEC device control in the setting of your Firestick, then disable it.
- Restart your firestick device to check if it is working properly or not.
NOTE – You will have to be sure that your TV comes with an HDMI port because old TVs lack this port.
Method #4. Update Firestick Firmware
A lot of times the user doesn’t know about the recent release of the Android update of their Firestick. Old firmware of the Firestick causes a lot of trouble and eventually stops working after some time. Most of the users prefer using Amazon Firestick primarily to watch content on Netflix. Outdated Android version of the firestick can cause a malfunction in the firestick and crash the apps installed in it. Amazon regularly releases maintenance releases and OS updates of the Firestick. It is the duty of the user to check for the update from time to time. To overcome this issue, we will discuss the steps to Update the Firmware of the Amazon Firestick.
- Go to the homepage of the Firestick and click on the setting option.
- Now click on “My Fire TV”
- A-List will appear, slide down to the bottom and click on “About”.
- Click on the “Check for Update” option.
- If a notification pop-up about the new update release, simply install the update.
NOTE – Do not click any button on the remote while the process of the installation began and do not cut the power of the firestick during the installation process. Wait for a while, the installation process hardly takes more than 5 minutes, keep patience till then.
Method #5. Remove Recently Installed Apps
Recently installed apps can also cause issues in the firestick and users to find themselves in trouble. Sometimes new apps carry bugs and malware with them and eventually they cause a malfunction in the Amazon Firestick. The best way to get rid of this problem is by uninstalling recently installed apps. You can also reinstall those apps if you find no error in them. A lot of users have found this step very useful for them and sort out the issue with their Firestick. So, let’s talk about the steps to remove recently installed apps in the Firestick.
- Go to the home screen of the Amazon firestick and then click on the Setting option. Now click on “Application”.
- A list of options will appear, click on “Manage Installed Applications”.
- A list of apps will appear on the screen, look out for the apps which you have recently installed on your Firestick.
- Click on each of the installed apps one by one and select the option “Uninstall” in order to install it.
- Now you will need to restart your firestick, Reboot the firestick to check if the problem still persists.
Method #6. Clear App’s Cache
All the above-mentioned methods work 99% of the time and solve the issue of problematic firesticks. If you are still coping with the problem of crash and freeze of Firestick while watching your favorite content, you will need to App’s Cache. Sometimes App’s cache builds up in the storage and makes it full, this causes a slowdown of the firestick and eventually, it crashes. The excessive app’s cache hampers the performance of RAM and it gets troublesome to use the firestick. In this method, we will discuss the steps to clear the app’s cache.
- Navigate to the setting option from the home screen of the Firestick and click on it.
- Now go to the “Applications” tab and click on it.
- Navigate to “Manage Installed Applications” and click on it.
- A list of various applications will appear on the screen.
- Click on an application and a list of different options will be available on the screen.
- Click on a Clear Cache from the different options of the selected app.
- All the unnecessary cache will be deleted by following this step.
NOTE – All the above-mentioned steps must have to be followed for each app in order to clear the cache of every app installed in the firestick. You will have to be careful while clearing Cache and not confuse it with clear data.
Method #7. Try Using Firestick In Another TV
Sometimes there are faults somewhere else and we try to look for the error at some other place. This causes a lot of waste of time. There may be chances that the fault is in the TV and we are trying to find the issue with the Firestick. We can try to use the Firestick on different TV to find out whether the issue is in the TV or in the Firestick. It takes very little to connect the Firestick to another TV. So, let us get to know about the process to connect the Firestick to another TV.
- Unplug the firestick Form the previously connected TV by unplugging all the wire connectivity from the TV.
- Connect the Firestick to the new TV.
- Power on the Firestick to check if the problem still persists.
NOTE – Connecting Firestick to another TV is really simple. But sometimes it takes a little more time to boot the firestick. You don’t need to panic rather keep patience for a while. The firestick will start in three to five minutes. If it doesn’t start then there must be some hardware/ software or wiring issue in the firestick.
Method #8. Use New USB Cable
USB cable is used to supply power to the firestick. People usually get confused that the USB cable is meant for connecting the TV to the Firestick, rather it is used to power up the firestick and HDMI cable is used to connect the TV to the Firestick. There are chances that the Firestick is not getting the proper power supply because of the faulty non-working USB cable. Replacing the old cable with the new cable can eradicate this issue. So, let’s talk about the process to replace the old USB cable with a new one.
- Insert the male port of the new USB cable into the female USB port of the amazon firestick.
- the adaptor of the firestick has a Micro USB male jack and it needs to be inserted into the female Micro USB port of the cable. After connecting the adaptor to the USB cable, plug the Adaptor into the power socket and switch it on.
- After successfully connecting the firestick to the power source via USB cable. Switch on the Firestick to check if it starts properly.
Method #9. Remove Additional Power Outlets
The power outlet can also be the reason behind the malfunctioning of the Firestick. Sometimes users forget to turn off their Firestick and it goes into sleep mode. Although the sleep mode doesn’t do anything except output a blank image, the device is completely powered up like normal. It’s annoying if you’ve forgotten to turn the TV off and think it’s off because of the black screen. You need to check whether the Firestick is switched off, sometimes the black screen of the sleep mode confuses us and we think that the firestick is off. A fluctuation in the power supply can severely damage the firestick.
You should rather use power from an outlet to be safe and sure and get rid of the additional power outlets. The idea of wear and tear on adapter plug via plugging or unplugging it all the times when in use or not in use causes damage to the firestick as well as the adaptor. The best way is to leave the adapter plugged into the power outlet and switch it on/off accordingly. Another solution is by getting a surge protector solely (nothing else on it) for the adapter; the surge protector is within comfortable reach to turn the power on and off.
Method #10. Format Firestick To Defaults
Last but not the least, this method always sort out the prior error of any device and it can also resolve the problem of Amazon Firestick. By formatting the firestick, it returns back to its factory mode, and all the bugs, viruses, and necessary/unnecessary apps and data get deleted in this process. Although, users must have to be conscious and follow this step at their own decision because it will wipe out every app and data of the firestick. So, let us talk about the step to format the Amazon firestick to its default.
- Go to the setting option from the home screen and click on it.
- Now click on “My Fire TV”.
- Then, click on the “Reset to Factory defaults” option and let the process complete.
- It may take 5-10 minutes to complete the process of format.
NOTE: You should have to be totally careful and aware before following this process. Formatting can erase each and every data from the firestick. It must be the conscious decision of the user to format the Firestick.
The methods mentioned above will definitely fix Firestick keep restarting problem. The solution to this problem depends on the reason behind this problem. It will become much easier to fix Firestick keep restarting if you are able to find the cause behind it. Remember, do not install apps from third-party websites or sources unless you trust them.
Using duplicate and low-quality hardware components can also damage your device. Always authenticate your apps and devices before using them with the Firestick or Fire TV device. There are many methods available out there to fix Fire TV keep restarting but we will recommend you to stick to the ways mentioned above. You can always fix these and other minor issues with your Firestick by following these methods.